Household Support Fund now available

Jemma PEC

Posted on: 08 Dec 2021

By Jemma

Our Energy Team is at the heart of community support once again this winter. The team will be administering Department for Work and Pensions grants given to Plymouth City Council to help people meet winter energy bills.

The Household Support Fund enables frontline workers to apply for grants for residents struggling to afford to heat their home this winter.

If you, or someone you know is affected and may have to make the choice between heating and eating, please ask a professional to make a referral.

The application form and eligibility details can be found below.

Please note we are unable to accept self-referrals.

Household Support Fund Guidance

Plymouth Energy Community (PEC) is working with Plymouth City Council to provide the energy support element of the Government Household Support Fund (HSF). The grants are for people whose ability to pay for heating or electricity is impacted by Covid and the recent energy crisis, putting them at risk of fuel poverty.

Plymouth Energy Community will be contacting residents it has supported previously, and who may be eligible. You may ask a professional* to refer you to the scheme if you think you may qualify.

Please note we are unable to accept self-referrals.

The scheme can help:

  • Pay towards your heating and electricity bills – both pre-payment meters and credit meters.
  • Pay for gas safety checks is yours are overdue, repair heating or hot water systems if they break down during the grant period.
  • Provide essential white goods if yours are broken or you do not have one.

Am I eligible?

You may be eligible if:

  • You are struggling to meet fuel bills and afford household essentials due to the energy crisis or Covid-19.


  • Your total household income is less than £30,000 net after housing and energy costs.


  • You are in the receipt of qualifying benefits (see the end of this document)

What level of help can I receive?

There are two definitions that decide on the level of grant available ‘family’ and ‘other household’. You can find the definitions for these later in the document.

How should I apply?

  • You must ask a professional to refer you using the grant application form. We will check your eligibility and a grant or repair may be made.
  • Send applications to along with the evidence requested for the help you need.

Applications close 20th March 2022, or earlier if fully allocated.

By making an application you understand that knowingly providing incorrect or false information in order to claim HSF support is considered to be fraudulent. Instances and details will be shared with Devon Audit Partnership and police for investigation and could result in prosecution.



  • Where a household has one or more child living in the home under the age of 19 years (for whom they receive child benefit)
  • Where the resident is pregnant
  • Where the household has one or more child living in the home 19 years of age or over, who is being cared for as a result of a diagnosed long term condition or illness.

‘Other household’

  • Any household that does not comply with at least one of the definitions outlined for ‘family’ above.


Means tested benefits

Income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)

Income related Employment and Support

Allowance (ESA)

Income Support

Pension Credit

Child Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit

Or household receives child benefit and has

income under £30,000 once housing and

energy bills met

Disablement based benefits

Attendance Allowance

Constant Attendance Allowance

Carers Allowance

Disability Living Allowance

Industrial Injuries Disability Benefit

Personal Independence Payment

Severe Disablement Allowance

Armed Forces Independence Payment

War Pensions Mobility Supplement

*Professionals include PSAs, social workers, health visitors, charity workers or food bank workers.

HSF Referral form for front line referral organisations

Share this article