Save water, save energy
Around 20% of your energy costs are for heating water. Just changing a few habits can reduce your water waste, which will not only save you money on your water bills but on your energy bills too.
A few things to think about:
- Do you know how much water you are using?
- When was the last time you read your meter?
- Would you be better off on a meter?
- Would you know if you had a leak?
A few facts on water waste/usage:
- Leaving a tap running while cleaning your teeth wastes approximately 6 litres per minute
- A power shower uses twice as much water as a bath, so make sure you only have a quick shower
- Toilets, around 10% of toilets leak from the internal overflow
- Using a plug when washing hands could save approximately 3 litres per wash
What you can do:
South West Water are the company responsible for drinking water and waste water services throughout Cornwall and Devon and in small areas of Dorset and Somerset. If you are a South West Water customer, you can get a FREE water saving kit. These are easy to fit and no plumbing skills required.
If you are not on a water meter, you may find you could save money by having one fitted. The meter is installed free and with free reversion within a year. Read South West Water’s handy guide about water meters.
South West Water’s website has lots of useful information about how you can save water, save energy and save money, visit www.southwestwater.co.uk.
Difficulty paying your water bill?
If you are struggling because of a change in circumstances, or if this has been a long term problem, there are various grants and different schemes available to help you.