Warm Home Discount
You could get £150 off your electricity bill for winter under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.
November 2022 Update by Libby
The Warm Home Discount scheme has changed for 2022/2023. It will now be £150 payment applied to your electricity bill. If you're on a prepay meter, you'll usually be sent a top-up voucher. If you qualify the discount will be applied between October 2022 and March 2023.
Previously, if you were not in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee element, you would need to apply for the discount (as part of the 'Broader Group'). This year it should be paid automatically. You should receive it if you qualify under the following criteria:
1) If you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, you should get it automatically. If you receive this credit and your name is on your energy bill, you should be eligible for the discount. This is now called 'Core Group 1'.
2) If you are on certain means tested benefits or Tax Credits (see below) you may get the discount automatically. Priority will be given to low-income households that are more likely to have high-energy costs and therefore most in need of support with energy bills. This is now called 'Core Group 2'.
The scheme for Core Group 2 will open on the 14th November. You will receive a letter between November 2022 and January 2023 telling you about the discount if you are eligible. The discount will be applied by the 31st March 2023.
Qualifying benefits for Core Group 2 include:
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income Support
- Housing Benefit
- Universal Credit
- Child Tax Credits/Working Tax Credits – provided your household income is below a certain level
- Pension credit (Savings Credit)