Warm Home Discount
You could get £150 off your electricity bill for winter under the Warm Home Discount Scheme.
May 2022 update
The Warm Home Discount scheme has changed for 2022. It will now be £150 payment applied to your electricity or gas bill. If you're on a prepay meter, you'll usually be sent a top-up voucher.
Previously, if you were not in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee element, you would need to apply for the discount (as part of the 'Broader Group'). This year it should be paid automatically. You should receive it if you qualify under the following criteria:
1) If you get Pension Credit, you should get it automatically. If you or your partner receive the 'Guarantee Credit' element of Pension Credit, and your name is on your energy bill, you should be eligible for the discount. This is now called 'Core Group 1'.
2) If you are on certain benefits (see below) you may get the discount automatically. Priority will be given to low-income households that are more likely to have high-energy costs and therefore most in need of support with energy bills. this is now called 'Core Group 2'. More details of how this scheme will work are expected later in 2022 and we will update this page when we have more information.
Qualifying benefits for Core Group 2 include:
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income Support
- Housing Benefit
- Universal Credit
- Child Tax Credits – provided your household income is below a certain level (the exact amount has not been announced yet)
- Working Tax Credits – provided your household income is below a certain level (the exact amount has not been announced yet)
- Pension credit (Savings Credit)